Katie L. Stone, PhD
Address: Suite 5700, 185 Berry Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Dr. Stone has over 20 years of experience designing, directing, and analyzing data from large multi-center cohort studies. Her primary research focus is sleep disorders in older adults. She has investigated the impact of sleep disturbance on age-related outcomes such as falls and fractures, mortality, and neurocognitive and physical performance. Dr. Stone is principal investigator for the Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men study and the Changes in Sleep and Cognition in Older Women study, which together, collected objective measures of sleep (using both in-home overnight PSG and wrist actigraphy) in more than 6,000 subjects.
Dr. Stone was recently awarded a planning grant from the National Institute on Aging to develop a multi-center comparative effectiveness trial to compare zolpidem and cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia in older adults.
- Insomnia and sleep disorders in older adults
- Ensrud KE, Blackwell TL, Redline S, Ancoli-Israel S, Paudel ML, Cawthon PM, Dam TT, Barrett-Connor E, Leung PC, Stone KL; for the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study Group. Sleep Disturbances and Frailty Status in Older Community-Dwelling Men. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; epub ahead of print.
- Rao MN, Blackwell T, Redline S, Stefanick ML, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone KL; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Association between sleep architecture and measures of body composition. Sleep 2009; 32(4):483-90.
- Mehra R, Stone KL, Varosy PD, Hoffman AR, Marcus GM, Blackwell T, Ibrahim OA, Salem R, Redline S. Nocturnal arrhythmias across a spectrum of obstructive and central sleep-disordered breathing in older men. Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169(12):1147-55.
- Stone KL, Ewing SK, Ancoli-Israel S, Ensrud KE, Redline S, Bauer DC, Cauley JA, Hillier TA, Cummings SR. Self-reported sleep and nap habits and risk of mortality in a large cohort of older women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57(4):604-11.
- Patel SR, Blackwell T, Redline S, Ancoli-Israel S, Cauley JA, Hillier TA, Lewis CE, Orwoll ES, Stefanick ML, Taylor BC, Yaffe K, Stone KL. The association between sleep duration and obesity in older adults. Int J Obes. 2008 (epub ahead of print).
- Stone KL, Ancoli-Israel S, Blackwell T, Ensrud KE, Cauley JA, Redline S, Hillier TA, Schneider J, Claman D, Cummings SR. Actigraphy-measured sleep characteristics and risk of falls in older women. Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168(16):1768-75.
- Mehra R, Stone KL, Blackwell T, Ancoli-Israel S, Dam TT, Stefanick ML, Redline S. Prevalence and Correlates of Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Older Men:MrOS Sleep Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007:55(9):1356-64.
- Yaffe K, Blackwell T, Barnes DE, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone KL; Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Group. Preclinical cognitive decline and subsequent sleep disturbance in older women. Neurology. 2007 Jul 17;69(3):237-42.
- Stone KL, Ewing KE, Lui LY, Ensrud K, Ancoli-Israel S, Bauer DC, Cauley JC, Hillier TA, Cummings SR. Self-reported Sleep and Nap Habits and Risk of Falls and Fractures in Older Women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54(8):1177-83.
- Blackwell T, Yagge K, Ancoli-Israel S, Schneider JL, Cauley JA, Hillier T, Fink H, Stone KL. Poor sleep is associated with impaired cognitive function in older women: the SOF study. J Gerontology A Biol Sci Med Sci 2006; 61(4):405-10.