Ann V. Schwartz, PhD, MPH
University of California, San Francisco
550 16th St., San Francisco, CA 94158
Dr. Schwartz's research focuses on the epidemiology and etiology of fractures, osteoporosis, and falls in older adults with diabetes. She is currently the PI of ACCORD BONE, an ancillary study to the ACCORD trial in older adults with type 2 diabetes, examining the effects of intensive glycemic control and TZD use on skeletal health. She is pursuing investigations into the reasons for reduced bone strength in type 2 diabetes, including the role of marrow fat, advanced glycation endproducts, and cortical porosity. Dr. Schwartz serves as the Director of the San Francisco Coordinating Center DXA Quality Assurance Group.
- Fractures, osteoporosis, falls, and physical function in older adults with diabetes
- Thiazolidinediones and skeletal health
- Relationship between bone formation and bone marrow adiposity
- Schwartz AV, Kelsey JL, Sidney S, Grisso JA. Characteristics of falls and risk of hip fracture in elderly men. Osteoporosis International (1998) 8:240-6.
- Sands ML, Schwartz AV, Brown BW, Nevitt MC, Seeley DG, Kelsey JL. Relationship of neurological function and age in older women: the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. Neuroepidemiology (1998) 17(6):318-29.
- Schwartz AV, Kelsey JL, Maggi S, Tuttleman M, Ho SC, Jonsson PV, Poor G, Sisson de Castro JA, Xu L, Matkin CC, Nelson L, Heyse SP. International variation in the incidence of hip fractures: Cross-National Project on Osteoporosis for the World Health Organization Program for Research on Aging. Osteoporosis International (1999) 9:242-253.
- Schwartz AV, Villa ML, Prill M, Kelsey JA, Delay R, Galinus JA, Nevitt MC, Bloch DA, Marcus R, Kelsey JL. Falls in older Mexican-American women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (1999) 47:1371-8.
- Resnick HE, Vinik AI, Schwartz AV, Leveille SG, Brancati FL, Balfour J, Guralnik JM. Independent effects of peripheral nerve dysfunction on lower-extremity physical function in old age - The women's health and aging study. Diabetes Care (2000) 23:1642-7.
- Schwartz AV, Sellmeyer DE, Ensrud KE, Cauley JA, Tabor HK, Schreiner PJ, Jamal SA, Black DM, Cummings SR for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Older women with diabetes have an increased risk of fracture: a prospective study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2001) 86:32-8.
- Gregg EW, Mangione CM, Cauley JA, Thompson TJ, Schwartz AV, Ensrud KE, Nevitt MC. Diabetes and incidence of functional disability in older women. Diabetes Care (2002) 25:61-7.
- Ensrud KE, Blackwell T, Mangione CM, Bowman PJ, Whooley MA, Bauer DC, Schwartz AV, Hanlon JT, Nevitt MC for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Central nervous system active medications and risk for falls in older women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (2002) 50:1629-37.
- Schwartz AV, Hillier TA, Sellmeyer DE, Resnick HE, Gregg E, Ensrud KE, Schreiner PJ, Margolis KL, Cauley JA, Nevitt MC, Black DM, Cummings SR, for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Older women with diabetes have a higher risk of falls: a prospective study. Diabetes Care (2002) 25:1749-54.
- Ensrud KE, Blackwell T, Mangione CM, Bowman PJ, Bauer DC, Schwartz A, Hanlon JT, Nevitt MC, Whooley MA for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Central nervous system active medications and risk for fractures in older women. Archives of Internal Medicine. (2003) 163:949-57.
- Goodpaster BH, Krsihnaswami S, Resnick H, Kelley DE, Haggerty C, Harris TB, Schwartz AV, Kritchevsky S, Newman AB. Association between regional adipose tissue distribution and both type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in elderly men and women. Diabetes Care (2003) 26:372-9.
- de Rekeneire N, Rooks RN, Simonsick EM, Shorr RI, Kuller LH, Schwartz AV, Harris TB. Racial differences in glycemic control in a well-functioning older diabetic population: findings from the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Diabetes Care (2003) 26:1986-92.
- De Rekeneire N, Resnick HE, Schwartz AV, Shorr RI, Kuller LH, Simonsick EM, Vellas B, Harris TB. Diabetes is associated with subclinical functional limitation in non-disabled older individuals: The Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Diabetes Care (2003) 26:3257-63.
- Keegan TH, Schwartz AV, Bauer DC, Sellmeyer DE, Kelsey JL. Effect of alendronate on bone mineral density and biochemical markers of bone turnover in type 2 diabetic women: the Fracture Intervention Trial. Diabetes Care. (2004) 27(7):1547-53.
- Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, Nevitt MC, Resnick HE, Zmuda JM, Bauer DC, Tylavsky FA, de Rekeneire N, Harris TB, Newman AB; Health ABC Study. Diabetes is associated independently of body composition with BMD and bone volume in older white and black men and women: The Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. (2004) 19(7):1084-91.
- Ensrud K, Barrett-Connor EL, Schwartz A, Santora AC, Bauer DC, Shuryawanshi S, Feldstein A, Haskell WL, Hochberg MC, Torner JC, Lombardi A, Black DM. Randomized trial of effect of alendronate continuation versus discontinuation in women with low BMD: results from the Fracture Intervention Trial Long-term Extension. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research (2004) 19: 1259-69.
- Schwartz AV, Nevitt MC, Brown Jr BW, Kelsey JL. Increased falling as a risk factor for fracture among older women. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. American Journal of Epidemiology (2005) 161:180-5.
- Kanaya AM, Fyr CL, de Rekeneire N, Shorr RI, Schwartz AV, Goodpaster BH, Newman AB, Harrist T, Barrett-Connor E. Predicting the development of diabetes in older adults: the derivation and validation of a prediction rule. Diabetes Care (2005) 28:404-8.
- Schwartz AV, Sellmeyer DE, Strotmeyer ES, Tylavsky FA, Feingold KR, Resnick HE, Shorr RI, Nevitt MC, Black DM, Cauley JA, Cummings SR, Harris TB. Diabetes and bone loss at the hip in older black and white adults. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research (2005) 20:596-603.
- Katsiaras A, Newman AB, Kriska A, Brach J, Krishnaswami S, Feingold E, Kritchevsky SB, Li R, Harris TB, Schwartz A, Goodpaster BH. Skeletal Muscle Fatigue, Strength and Quality in the Elderly: The Health ABC Study. Journal of Applied Physiology (2005) 99(1):210-6.
- Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, Nevitt MC, Resnick HE, Bauer DC, Tylavsky FA, de Rekeneire N, Harris TB, Newman AB, for the Health ABC Study. Non-traumatic fracture risk with diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in older white and black men and women: The Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Archives of Internal Medicine (2005) 165(14):1612-7.
- Hillier TA, Rizzo JH, Pedula KL, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, Ensrud KE, Browner WS. Increased mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome in older women with diabetes. Diabetes Care (2005) 28(9):2258-60.
- Sahyoun NR, Anderson AL, Kanaya AM, Koh-Banerjee P, Kritchevsky SB, de Rekeneire N, Tylavsky FA, Schwartz AV, Lee JS, Harris TB. Dietary glycemic index and load, measures of glucose metabolism, and body fat distribution in older adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2005) 82(3):547-52.
- Park SW, Goodpaster BH, Strotmeyer ES, de Rekeneire N, Harris TB, Schwartz AV, Tylavsky FA, Newman AB. Decreased muscle strength and quality in older adults with type 2 diabetes: The Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study. Diabetes (2006) 55(6):1813-8.
- Schwartz AV, Sellmeyer DE, Vittinghoff E, Palermo L, Lecka-Czernik B, Feingold KR, Strotmeyer ES, Resnick HE, Carbone L, Beamer BA, Won Park S, Lane NE, Harris TB, Cummings SR. Thiazolidinedione (TZD) use and bone loss in older diabetic adults. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2006) 91(9):3349-54.