John Lynch, PhD
University of California, San Francisco
550 16th St., San Francisco, CA 94158
Dr. Lynch has developed many techniques and procedures for obtaining reliable image-based biomarkers, measurements, and readings from MRI and x-ray images in bone and joint disease, particularly osteoarthritis. He has managed the MRI QA and readings for most of the largest epidemiological studies of the use of MRI in knee osteoarthritis, and also has experience in the design of Phase II and III pharmaceutical trials of knee osteoarthritis using measurements from x-rays as the primary study outcome.
- MRI and x-ray imaging of arthritic diseases
- Development of image-based biomarkers for osteoarthritis
- Image processing techniques for improving diagnosis and staging of bone and joint diseases
- Development of models of the variation of bone structure and their relationship to arthritic alterations and osteoporotic fractures
- Roemer FW, Lynch JA. Nui J, Zhang Y, Crema MD, Tolstykh, El Khoury GY, Felson DT, Lewis CE, Nevitt MC, Guermazi A. A comparison of dedicated 1.0T extremity MRI vs large-bore 1.5T MRI for semiquantiative whole organ assessment of osteoarthritis: the MOST study. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2010, 18: 168-174.
- Carballido-Gamio J, Blumenkrantz G, Lynch JA, Link TM, Majumdar S. Longitudinal analysis of MRI T(2) knee cartilage laminar organization in a subset of patients from the osteoarthritis initiative. Magn Reson Med. 2010, 63:465-72.
- Lynch JA, Parimi N, Chaganti RK, Nevitt MC, Lane NE. The association of proximal femoral shape and incident radiographic hip OA in elderly women. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2009, 17; 1313-1318.
- Segal NA, Anderson DD, Iyer KS, Baker J, Torner JC, Lynch JA, Felson DT, Lewis CE, Brown TD. Baseline articular contact stress levels predict incident symptomatic knee osteoarthritis developmentin the MOST cohort. J Orthop Res, 2009, 27: 1562-1568.
- Roemer F, Guermazi A, Lynch JA, Peterfy CG, Nevitt MC, Webb N, Li J, Mohr A, Genant HK, Felson DT. Short tau inversion recovery and proton density-weighted fat suppressed sequences for the evaluation of osteoarthritis of the knee with a 1.0T dedicated extremity MRI: Development of a time-efficient protocol. European Radiology 2005, 15(5), 978-987.
- JA Lynch, M Grigorian, A Fierlinger, A Guermazi, S Zaim, DB Maclean, HK Genant. Measurement of changes in trabecular bone at fracture sites using X-ray CT and automated image registration and process sing. J Orthop Res 2004, 22, 362-367.
- RAD Carano, JA Lynch, J Redei, S Ostrowitzki, Y Miaux, S Zaim, DL White, CG Peterfy, HK Genant. Multispectral analysis of bone lesions in the hands of rheumatoid arthritis patients. Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2004, 22, 505-514.
- C Peterfy, J Li, S Duryea, J Lynch, Y Miaux, W Yu, HK Genant. Comparison of fixed-flexion positioning with fluoroscopic semi-flexed positioning for quantifying radiographic joint-space width in the knee: test-retest reproducibility. Skeletal Radiology 2003, 32: 128-132.
- Lynch JA, Buckland-Wright JC, Macfarlane DG. Precision of joint space width measurement in knee osteoarthritis from digital image analysis of high definition macroradiographs. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 1993, 1(4), 209-218.
- Lynch JA, Hawkes DJ, Buckland-Wright JC. A robust and accurate method for calculating the fractal signature of texture in macroradiographs of osteoarthritic knees. Medical Informatics 1991, 16: 241-245.