Stephen B. Hulley, MD, MPH
University of California, San Francisco
Address: Suite 5700 185 Berry Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Additional Websites: Training in Clinical Research
Dr. Hulley, chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics 1994-2006, received his MD from Harvard Medical School and his MPH from the School of Public Health at UC Berkeley. He created a course in "Designing Clinical Research" at UCSF 25 years ago which now trains 120 fellows and medical school junior faculty each summer, and he is lead author of the widely used textbook of the same name (with 100,000 copies sold), now in its third edition (2007). Dr. Hulley created the NIH-funded UCSF Training in Clinical Research program at UCSF, with its 2-year master's degree, and leads the CTSA KL2 Career Development program that currently oversees 32 junior faculty with 3-5 year K awards.
A cardiovascular epidemiologist, Dr. Hulley chaired the Epidemiology Subcommittee of two National Cholesterol Education Program policy documents (NCEP I and II), and he led HERS, the first trial to reveal an increase in CHD events in women randomized to hormone treatment after menopause. He has held leadership roles in numerous other multicenter studies including MRFIT and Ms; has chaired the Steering Committee for the CARDIA cohort study of risk development in young adults for the past 20 years; and has recently embarked on VEST/PREDICTS, a 90-center trial and follow-up study of wearable and implanted cardiac defibrillators.
- Cardiovascular epidemiology
- Research methods
- Women's health
- Pletcher MJ, ..., Hulley SB. Nonoptimal Lipids Commonly Present in Young Adults, and Coronary Calcium Later in Life. Ann Intern Med, in press.
- Pletcher MJ, Hulley SB. Statin Therapy in Young Adults: Ready for Prime Time? J Am Coll Cardiol, in press.
- Marcus GM, Olgin JE, Whooley M, Vittinghoff E, Stone KL, Mehra R, Hulley SB, Schiller NB. Racial differences in atrial fibrillation prevalence and left atrial size. Am J Med. 2010 Apr;123(4):375. e1-7. Epub 2010 Mar 11.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Yan LL, Hulley SB, Liu K. Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between objectively measured sleep duration and body mass index: the CARDIA Sleep Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Oct 1;170(7):805-13. Epub 2009 Aug 3.
- Bibbins-DomingoK, Pletcher MJ, Lin F, Vittinghoff E, Gardin JM, Arynchyn A, Lewis CE, Williams OD, Hulley SB. Racial differences in incident heart failure among young adults. N Engl J Med. 2009 Mar 12;360(12):1179-90.
- Knutson KL, Van Cauter E, Rathouz PJ, Yan LL, Hulley SB, Liu K, Lauderdale DS. Association between sleep and blood pressure in midlife: the CARDIA sleep study. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169:1055-61.
- Hulley S, Grady D. Postmenopausal hormone treatment. JAMA 2009;301:2493-5.
- Krauss RM, Mangravite LM, Smith JD, Medina MW, Wang D, Guo X, Rieder MJ, Simon JA, Hulley SB, Waters D, Saad M, Williams PT, Taylor KD, Yang H, Nickerson DA, Rotter JI. Variation in the 3-hydroxyl-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme a reductase gene is associated with racial differences in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol response to simvastatin treatment. Circulation. 2008;117:1537-44.
- Deo R, Lin F, vittinghoff E, Tseng ZH, Hulley SB, Shlipak MG. Kidney dysfunction and sudden cardiac death among women with coronary heart disease. Hypertension. 2008;51:1578-82.
- Pletcher MJ, Bibbins-Domingo K, Lewis CE, Wei GS, Sidney S, Carr JJ, Vittinghoff E, McCulloch CE, Hulley SB. Prehypertension during young adulthood and coronary calcium later in life: The CARDIA Study. Ann Intern Med, 2008;149:91-9.
- Hulley SB et al. Randomized trial of estrogen plus progestin for secondary prevention of CHD in postmenopausal women. JAMA 1998;280:605-613.
- Expert Panel on Detection, valuation and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults [Hulley chaired epidemiology subcommittee and wrote first 1/3 of report]. Summary of the NCEP ATPII. JAMA 1993;269:3015-23.