Robert A. Hiatt, MD, PhD
Director of Population Sciences and Deputy Director, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
University of California, San Francisco
Address: Suite 5700 185 Berry Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Dr. Hiatt has a distinguished career in cancer epidemiology and genetics, surveillance, and health services research. He has served in leadership positions at the National Cancer Institute, the Northern California Cancer Center, and Kaiser Permanente. He is a past president of the American College of Epidemiology and the American Society for Preventive Oncology. Dr. Hiatt holds adjunct appointments as Professor in the Division of Epidemiology at the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health and the Division of Research at Kaiser Permanente Northern California in Oakland.
- Cancer epidemiology, particularly breast cancer
- Cancer prevention and screening
- Social determinants of cancer
- Kranick JA, Schaefer C, Rowell S, Desai M, Petrek JA, Hiatt RA, Senie RG. Is Pregnancy After Breast Cancer Safe? Breast J. 2010 May 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Widome R, Samet JM, Hiatt RA, Luke DA, Orleans CT, Ponkshe P, Hyland A. Science, prudence, and politics: the case of smoke-free indoor spaces. Ann Epidemiol. 2010 Jun;20(6):428-35.
- Hade EM, Murray DM, Pennell ML, Rhoda D, Paskett ED, Champion VL, Crabtree BF, Dietrich A, Dignan MB, Farmer M, Fenton JJ, Flocke S, Hiatt RA, Hudson SV, Mitchell M, Monohan P, Shariff-Marco S, Slone SL, Stange K, Stewart SL, Strickland PA. Intraclass correlation estimates for cancer screening outcomes: estimates and applications in the design of group-randomized cancer screening studies. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2010(40):97-103.
- Wolff MS, Teitelbaum SL, Pinney SM, Windham G, Liao L, Biro F, Kushi LH, Erdmann C, Hiatt RA, Rybak ME, Calafat AM; Breast Cancer and Environment Research Centers. Investigation nof Relationships between Urinary Biomarkers of Phytoestrogens, Phthalates, and Phenols and Pubertal Stages in Girls. Environ Health Perspect. 2010 Mar 22. [Epub head of print]
- Windham GC, Pinney SM, Sjodin A, Lum R, Jones RS, Needham LL, Biro FM, Hiatt RA, Kushi LH. Body burdens of brominated flame retardants and other persistent organo-halogenated compounds and their descriptors in US girls. Environ Res. 2010 Apr;110(3):251-7. Epub 2010 Feb 2.
- Hiatt RA, Haslam SZ, Osuch J. The breast cancer and the environment research centers: transdisciplinary research on the role of the environment in breast cancer etiology. Environ Health perspect. 2009 Dec;117(12):1814-22. Epub 2009 June 16.
- Wideroff L, Phillips KA, Randhawa G, Ambs A, Armstrong K, Bennett CL, Brown ML, Donaldson MS, Follen M, Goldie SJ, Hiatt RA, Khoury MJ, Lewis G, McLeod HL, Piper M, Powell I, Schrag D, Schulman KA, Scott J. A health services research agenda for cellular, molecular and genomic technologies in cancer care. Public Health Genomics. 2009;12(4):233-44. Epub 2009 Feb 20.
- Braithwaite D, Tammemagi CM, Moore DH, Ozanne EM, Hiatt RA, Belkora J, West DW, Satariano WA, Liebman M, Esserman L. Hypertension is an independent predictor of survival disparity between African-American and white breast cancer patients. Int J Cancer. 2009 Mar 1;124(5):1213-9.
- Chlebowski RT, Johnson KX, Kooperberg C, Pettinger M, Wactawski-Wende J, Rohan T, Tossouw J, Lane D, O'Sullivan MJ, Yasmeen S, Hiatt RA, Shikany JM, Vitolins M, Khandekar J, Hubbell FA; Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Nov 19;100(22):1581-91. Epub 1008 Nov 11.
- Hiatt RA. Epidemiology: key to translational, team, and transdisciplinary science. Positioning epidemiology in a changing environment over the next 25 years. American College of Epidemiology. Ann Epidemiol 2008:18:859-61.