Peggy M. Cawthon, PhD, MPH
550 16th Street, 2nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94158
Dr. Cawthon received a doctorate in epidemiology from University of California, Berkeley. Dr. Cawthon's current research interests include maintaining mobility in old age;sarcopenia (age-related muscle loss); frailty; the decline of physical function with age;and osteoporosis, particularly in older men. Dr. Cawthon has several years of experience managing large, multi-center observational studies. She also oversees the statistical Analyst Group at the Coordinating Center
- Maintaining mobility in old age
- The epidemiology of sarcopenia, frailty and age-related physical decline
- Translational approaches to studying sarcopenia, frailty and age-related physical decline
- Osteoporosis in men
- Vitamin D supplementation for the prevention of physical decline
- Paudel M, Taylor BC, Ancoli-Israel S, Blackwell T, Maglione JE, Stone K, Redline S, Ensrud KE. Sleep Disturbances and Risk of Depression in Older Men. Sleep. 2013 Jul 1;36(7):1033-1040. PubMed PMID: 23814340; PMCID: PMC3669078.
- Fung MM, Peters K, Ancoli-Israel S, Redline S, Stone KL, Barrett-Connor E; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group. Total sleep time and other sleep characteristics measured by actigraphy do not predict incident hypertension in a cohort of community-dwelling older men. J Clin Sleep Med. 2013;9(6):585-91. PMCID: PMC3659379.
- Khan A, Harrison SL, Kezirian EJ, Ancoli-Israel S, O'Hearn D, Orwoll E, Redline S, Ensrud K, Stone KL; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Research Group. Obstructive sleep apnea during rapid eye movement sleep, daytime sleepiness, and quality of life in older men in Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Sleep Study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2013;9(3):191-8. PMCID: PMC3578688.
- Evans DS, Parimi N, Nievergelt CM, Blackwell T, Redline S, Ancoli-Israel S, Orwoll ES, Cummings SR, Stone KL, Tranah GJ; Study of Osteoporotic Fractures (SOF); Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Common genetic variants in ARNTL and NPAS2 and at chromosome 12p13 are associated with objectively measured sleep traits in the elderly. Sleep. 2013; 36(3):431-46. PMCID: PMC3571755.
- Ensrud KE, Blackwell TL, Ancoli-Israel S, Redline S, Cawthon PM, Paudel ML, Dam TT, Stone KL. Sleep disturbances and risk of frailty and mortality in older men. Sleep Med. 2012; PMCID: PMC3449012.
- Tranah GJ, Blackwell T, Stone KL, Ancoli-Israel S, Paudel ML, Ensrud KE, Cauley JA, Redline S, Hillier TA, Cummings SR, Yaffe K. Circadian activity rhythms and risk of incident dementia and mild cognitive impairment in older women. Ann Neurol. 2011; 70(5): 722-32. PMCID: PMC3244839.
- Blackwell T, Yaffe K, Ancoli-Israel S, Redline S, Ensrud KE, Stefanick ML, Laffan A, Stone KL; Association of sleep characteristics and cognition in older community-dwelling men: the MrOS sleep study. Sleep. 2011; 34(10):1347-56. PMCID: PMC3174836.
- Fung MM, Peters K, Redline S, Ziegler MG, Ancoli-Israel S, Barrett-Connor E, Stone KL. Decreased slow wave sleep increases risk of developing hypertension in elderly men. Hypertension. 2011; 58(4): 596-603. PMCID: PMC3176739.
- Yaffe K, Laffan AM, Harrison SL, Redline S, Spira AP, Ensrud KE, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone KL. Sleep-disordered breathing, hypoxia, and risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia in older women. JAMA. 2011; PMCID: PMC3600944.
- Tranah GJ, Blackwell T, Ancoli-Israel S, Paudel ML, Ensrud KE, Cauley JA, Redline S, Hillier TA, Cummings SR, Stone KL; Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Circadian activity rhythms and mortality: the study of osteoporotic fractures. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58(2):282-91. PMCID: PMC2938873.
- Mehra R, Stone KL, Varosy PD, Hoffman AR, Marcus GM, Blackwell T, Ibrahim OA, Salem R, Redline S. Nocturnal arrhythmias across a spectrum of obstructive and central sleep-disordered breathing in older men. Arch Int Med. 2009; 169 (12): 1147-55. PMCID: PMC2780325.
- Rao MN, Blackwell T, Redline S, Stefanick ML, Ancoli-Istrael S, Stone KL. Association between sleep architecture and measures of body composition. Sleep. 2009; 32(4):483-90. PMCID: PMC2663862.
- Stone KL, Ewing SK, Ancoli-Israel S, Ensrud KE, Redline S, Bauer DC, Cauley JA, Hillier TA, Cummings SR. Self-reported sleep and nap habits and risk of mortality in a large cohort of older women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57(4):604-11. PMCID: PMC2927342.